Saturday, January 8, 2011

No one saw this coming...

Okay, so my three best friends from high school and I are all going abroad.  They're all already in Europe and they all have awesome blogs.  And I'm not going to Europe, so I'm already left out, so I'm going to start a blog too.  It won't be as witty or well-written as theirs because they all love writing...I just love talking about myself, but I'm going to have good stories to share too, so weather eye right well oar knot I'm going two dew my best.

I'm writing from my hotel room in Mexico before I head out for our final dinner south of the boarder.  Tomorrow I will fly back to Columbus and pretend to clean my room, do laundry, and pack for three days until I take of for J-town.

Me starting this blog is just about as ridiculous as me going abroad.  Last year on Patriot's Day, Marathon Monday, the best day of the year to go to BU, I remember being so glad that I wouldn't be abroad in the spring of my junior year.  Almost all of my friends had plans to go away, and somehow I ended up being the only one of my friends, aside from you Jordan Rossman, leaving campus.  My academic advisor and my friends who had recently returned from their abroad semesters were the only ones in Boston who thought I should go.  To my surprise my parents also wanted me out of the country.

It's a good thing that I'm a religion major focusing on Judaics and minoring in Hebrew because otherwise Jerusalem would be the worst place for me to go learn about the world.  I've already lived their twice, and know enough importnat lawyers and doctors in the city that I won't be able to get into any trouble.   The truth is even though I think I know everything, I don't, and being a long term visitor over the age of 12 is  something very different than what I know life to be like in Israel.

A good friend of mine attended Hebrew U, which is where I will be in about a week, last year and loved it.  She said she felt like she was at home in Jerusalem.  I feel like I've made a home for myself in Boston, and I know I'm going to miss my amazing apartment, roommates, neighbors, friends, professors, and job like crazy, but I found a lot of comfort in what she said.  I think she's right, I don't feel like I'm diving into the unknown, a big part of me feels like I'm simply going back home.

I don't know what classes I'm taking, and I don't know if my cool American clothes are going to be cool in Israel, but I know that I'm lucky enough to have people both back home and in my new home who will help me figure it all out.  I have amazing opportunities waiting for me and I can't wait for all the surprises that lie ahead.

Also, I recently found out that Marathon Monday is going to coincide with Passover.  This reminds me that it's going to be so much easier and more delicious to keep kosher in Israel, and I'm not so sad to be missing my pan-ultimate marathon monday if it means sipping (chugging) potato-vodka.

No comments:

Post a Comment