Wednesday, January 12, 2011

ManiCuring my worries.


So I started packing last night and was pleasantly surprised when most of the clothes I’d selected weighed about 40 pounds in a suitcase.  This is great news because I’ll be traveling with a five-pound bottle of tequila and my camelback.  Don’t worry; I’m not combining the two.  The camelback is for the many hikes I’ll be doing in order to lose weight for my brothers wedding at the end of the summer.  The tequila is a gift from Mexico for my boyfriend’s family who will be hosting me the first weekend I’m there.  When I bought the tequila I also bought my boyfriend a bottle of really spicy Mexican hot sauce.  This will probably weigh down my suitcase too, but it won’t weigh me down.  I hate spicy food, and the boyfriend likes to pour his hot sauce on my food when he decides it’s his turn to finish my plate.  I’m gonna look great at this wedding.
Today I finished my errands, which included a manicure.  Ling, my usual nail technician, who calls me “girl” even though she knows my name, kept shaking my hand. “RELAX!” The fifth time she snapped at me I snapped back “Listen Ling, I know you’re going to do a great job, and I’m sorry if I’m making it hard for you, but I’m leaving the country tomorrow for a really long time, and I’m really anxious about it, so I don’t think relaxation is in the cards today.” I didn’t feel so bad about my response because I know Ling thinks I’m her girl, but I did start analyzing my anxiety which obviously only made me more anxious.
Just as I was about to enter panic mode, something I do all the time, a woman and her high school aged daughter walked in.  I knew this woman from somewhere, and judging by her cool glasses, it had to be through my mother.  “I know you.” She said.   “Oh I know, you work out at lifetime!”  She was wrong, but I was willing to let Ling think I worked out.  “No…I know, I’ve helped you at Anthropologie like a million times!”  She was right.  Ling told her I was going abroad and my friendly sale’s associate gushed.  “This is going to be an amazing opportunity for you.  You’re going to have the best stories and such an amazing time.”  And she didn’t even know about my boyfriend.
As I left with pale pink nails I decided that it’s good that I’m going, and it’s definitely time to leave Columbus for a while.  My Anthropologie friend was right, I am going to have an amazing time.  I’m going to make new friends, spend time with people I love, and be in a city that makes me feel happy.  What worried me is that we felt like we knew each other, and that means I have been at Anthroplogie too much, and this is why it’s time to leave.
I’m not gonna lie, I’ve been really anxious all day, and have done that pathetic wet eyes face at my parents about seven times since lunch.  But I know that tomorrow starts a wonderful trip for me and I can’t wait for all the surprises.  I managed to pack two suitcases within a weight limit, which include multiple items of down bedding.  I don’t expect anything to be more challenging than that.
Tomorrow I’ll wake up, shower, stuff little things I forgot into my suitcases, freak out, and leave the country.  I’ll worry about whether or not I should let immigration know that I have an Israeli boyfriend, stress over the giant boogers I get every time I fly, and hyperventilate when my plane gets delayed.  For now I’ll just snuggle up for one last night in my big bed with Murphy, my furry kitty who has been with me forever, and is coming on the plane with me to Israel.  I’ll be brave for him.
One last note that has nothing to do with this post but is hilarious.  Last night my parents and I ate at Level, a gay bar/restaurant in downtown Columbus with delicious food and waiters.  All the décor is white leather, and there are TVs all over playing music videos of current billboard hits and gay friendly oldies such as Paula Abdul, Cher, Madonna, and Elton John.  I clearly love this place.  The music video for “Dynamite” came on.  “Do you guys recognize this?” I asked them, clearly referring to the Hanukkah parody a Yeshiva University acapella group made last month. “Yeah, it’s the Galileo song.” Said my mom.  “What?”  “I throw my hands up in the air sometimes saying ayo, Galileo.”

No comments:

Post a Comment